Monday, August 1, 2011

Dog New Tricks

I have been teaching myself (through youtube) how to knit continental style. I first learnt to knit as a child and have taken up the needles off and on since. I learnt American style - which is what most of us know where we hold the yarn in our right hand and 'throw' the yarn over the needle to make a stitch.


Continental knitting is done by holding the yarn in your left hand and 'picking' it up with the needle in the right hand to make the stitch. Basically it is a more efficient way of knitting. I'm a pretty quick 'thrower' but I like a challenge and there is the notion that it is easier on the wrists and hands which would certainly help.
I'm picking a purl stitch in the photo!


The funniest thing is that I'm knitting like a kid again and my tension is all over the place!
I'm just getting in lots of practice by knitting squares (loose and wobbly ones).
It's an interesting process relearning a skill. It seems this dog ain't that old yet.

1 comment:

  1. My grandmother tried to teach me to knit. I profess that my hands have never cooperated. Good luck with your knitting and purling :) I can't wait to see some creations!

    ReplyDelete